Thursday, February 10, 2011

A real morning in nature

We went to the forest with J's independent study program today! It was lovely. We didn't go to the main part, with precisely fenced trails and signs every fifty feet, but to the back part, where we went off the trails and spent a couple hours playing games in a relatively open part of the redwood forest.

The kids played on a nature playground (made with fallen tree limbs and ropes, including two swings), played sardines (wow, that game helps you notice nature while you're looking for the hidden people), eagle eyes (ditto sardines), and built a house using tree limbs and leaf litter. The last was A's favorite part. Finally, at the end, we took down the playground, packed up the ropes, and it was just another clearing.

The morning was magical. I don't think I've looked at redwoods as closely as when I was looking for the hidden people, at least not in a long time. I never noticed how many huge stumps there were for whole groups of people to hide behind before. We all had a great time. I hope we can go back next week.

(And I hope I can take my nieces in the summer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment