Friday, September 30, 2011

Week 2: Sept. 26 to 30

After a good start last week, I was somewhat reluctant to break up our week to visit a traveling Picasso exhibit, but since I had already RSVP'd, we went.

We added in a visit to a nearby Japanese Garden and picnicked in the park before entering the exhibit.

 I approached the exhibit lightheartedly and told the big kids to pick out a favorite picture in each room to look at. We didn't do more than just glance at any but the favorites, and for once, I appreciated the pictures I saw and wasn't begging to leave by the end. I think I'll use my new museum method when I go with adults in the future.
The girls loved the water and especially the water skater bugs at the Japanese Garden.
Monday, Thursday, and Friday were our only structured school days this week now that BSF is back in session, but we still got a lot done. J is cruising along in his Writing Road to Reading notebook.
Great writing, J, but it looks like we need to correct a sentence.
The challenges this week involved teaching A to read. I generally don't want to push early reading, but A would be a lot happier at church if she could read, so we're doing basic phonics for a few minutes twice a day. The challenge was involving her in J's WRTR lesson. At first she resisted, since in the past she was allowed to play outside during that time. By Friday, things were much improved. She listened in (phonetic awareness) and played with pattern blocks.
Making cinnamon raisin bagels.
M shook things up today during naptime by putting her own "sunblock" on. (It was really Daddy's shoe polish. Whoops.)
"I thought it was sunblock, Mommy!"



No comments:

Post a Comment