Wednesday, December 15, 2010

This guy is a sponge!

He absorbs things but I never know what has been soaked up until he wrings himself out, however infrequently. I used to think that J couldn't count by fives. We used the abacus, but counting by fives to 100 took ten minutes as he slowly pushed the beads back and forth. A few days later, frustrated, I took it away and told him to do it without the abacus. No problem. It took less than a minute.

We had another such breakthrough today. While working on a sheet of two-digit addition and subtraction problems, I couldn't find the abacus so I told him just to go for it and "see the abacus in his mind" while I read to the girls. (Of course we were reading Petunia's Christmas - it has to be Petunia for my 2-year-old!)

He's gotten about three wrong out of twenty. Not too bad for the first time without manipulatives. If I'd found the abacus, however, he'd still be chugging away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment