Monday, October 8, 2012

Into schooling daybook

FOR TODAY

Outside my window the trees are changing, the sky is blue, and the seasons are definitely turning. We've put a thermometer on the back porch and we're appreciating the temperature swings and changes. It was 90 F Thursday noon and 39 F Saturday noon!

I am thinking about making home here and now. The rooms echo with space and beautiful wood floors. Our furniture from California looks like it is rattling around in the big spaces.

I am thankful for a walkable neighborhood. I'm thankful for all the fall trees and for the new things I'm learning and seeing as I train myself to look at things and see what there is. I'm thankful for space in our house and people to fill it up with.

In the kitchen I'm back into cooking. I wrote menu plans after reading about the idea of unchanging day menus. We've had breakfast figured out for a while (overnight oatmeal) but lunch has been my undoing. Now we've got a plan: M/Sa Muffins and Soup or Smoothie (depending on season), Tu/Th is Tuna Fish Sandwiches, and W/F is Hummus wraps or bagels. We made a mega batch of muffins last night to last for the lunches!

I am wearing hand-dyed magenta jeans. It is like summer in the house and fall outside, so dressing is a little tricky.

I am creating order in my closet. The closets are super-deep but there is no linen closet, so I'm working with the cubes to facilitate linen storage.

I am going couch shopping. No luck yet!

I am wondering how to dress my baby for winter... tricky. I haven't yet figured this one out, despite having three other attempts.

I am reading through used books from the neighborhood book sale. We bought three Landmark histories!

I am hoping to live my homeschooling schedule. Somehow something seems to slip through the cracks each day.

I am looking forward to my parents' visit. We're getting ready and making plans.

I am learning to build habits bit by bit.

Around the house I'm crock-potting baked-potato soup. Anna and I had a pie date and made banana-creme pie for the first time.

A favorite quote for today...
From Mark Twain: "Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time."

One of my favorite things... baby hugs.

A few plans for the rest of the week: DMV, a museum, the library.

A peek into my day...

http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to Chicago Grace!!!
    I am glad that you are enjoying the neighborhood of Hyde Park.I spent my first 2 years in the US there and I loved it. But be careful stay within the 51st-59th street region!
    I live on the south side about 30 minutes away from where you live. Since you love walks I wanted to suggest this pumpkin farm to visit:http://www.pumpkinfarm.com/ If you decide to visit it, let me know, I live 15 minutes away from it.
    Also, if your children like theatre, here is a great suggestion:http://www.beverlyartcenter.org/_mainstage/ckc.php. We love the company and I try to take my kids there at least 2 times a year.

    Another thing, I am planning a partly for my little guy, Nov 3,a Saturday. I would like to invite you and your whole family, if you are available. It will be at a jump zone place in Mokena, IL(as I say 30-35 minutes from your home)-here is a link.https://www.jumpzoneparty.com/Birthday-Party-for-Kids.php?jzpcity=Mokena&jzpid=008
    No presents! We just love the kids to have good time!
    One more thing, you mentioned wondering how to dress your littlest one? How old is he? I have tons of good winter clothes from my son who is 3, and from my girl who will be 5. You are welcome to come and see what you may like to use!
    Teo
    Here is my phone:347-554-0285

    Welcome to Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teo, I'll call you tomorrow. Thanks for the pointers on places to go and where to take care in the neighborhood. Did one of your parents work at U Chicago for a while? My kids would love coming to Brian's birthday and playing with your kids. How old is Sophia now? Thanks for the winter clothes offer. I'll definitely take you up on it!

      Delete
  2. Grace, my email is mechupuh79@aol.com. I am home tomorrow in the afternoon and all of next weekend so if either works for you before it gets too cold, please come over. We are having a party for Sophia on Sunday(10/21) if you wish to come for that, you are very welcome to as well!

    ReplyDelete