Friday, October 19, 2012

Pie Dates


One of the fun things about my family growing up was that we liked to make up silly traditions. 

One year, we decided we should take our picture with the person who sold us our Christmas tree, so we have a bunch of photos with Christmas-tree-guys.

Another year, we decided to name our Christmas tree "Irmagarde." We even wrote up a sign and introduced visitors to her.

Until sixth grade, I went out to breakfast with my dad before my piano lessons nearly every week. This great tradition we revived when I was home from college during the summers. (I even took piano lessons one summer, but the breakfasts were scooted to before work.)


Our family has a new tradition that I don't think the kids will let me forget: Pie Dates. 
Anna's Banana Cream Pie
It started a few weeks ago when John was jealous that Molly always cooks with me. She loves cooking and is willing to give up playing to cook, whereas he waits until play is dull to ask to cook.

"I never get to cook with you, Mommy!" said John, close to tears.

"Alright, we'll make a pie on Saturday," I told him, thinking about the recipe I'd seen for Cheddar Pear Pie and the over-ripe pears on the counter.

Saturday came and we started work on the pie as Molly stood outside the kitchen crying because she couldn't cook with us. 

"We'll make a pie together next week," I told Molly.
 
"Me too!" yelled Anna from the dining room table.
Molly's Sweet Potato Pie

And thus, a tradition was born. Each week since then I've made a pie with a child. So far we've had Cheddar Pear, Banana Cream, and Sweet Potato pies. Now that each one knows they will have a turn, there isn't a crying child looking on.

No comments:

Post a Comment