Saturday, October 4, 2014

Day 3 - Projects to Tasks

I've gone through my rooms (quickly), opened closets (without judgment), collected projects, and even finished the first three 15-minute-or-less projects (listed shoes for sale online, hung pictures over my dresser, and learned how to properly dispose of used batteries ).

Today I'm going to work on turning projects into tasks, like the method of Getting Things Done.

A project is the big picture: what will the end result look like?

A task is manageable: what can I cross off my to-do list today?

"Finish quilt" is a project; cut sashing pieces is a task.

"Lose weight" is a project; exercise for 25 minutes is a task.

Look through your list - is each of your projects a project? Is it measurable? Can you define finished?

The short projects don't need to become tasks - they already are tasks - and turning them into tasks may take more time than it is worth. However, I'll come back to tacking short projects efficiently later.

For my quilt project, the tasks are:

 - cut sashing
- sew on sashing
- iron squares
- sew squares together into rows
- cut border
- sew border
- learn how to do the next step, then task it

Although I sort of want to finish PiYo, there are some workouts I just don't like. They don't work with my body type (long torso, recently pregnant) and I don't want to do them. So I'm not going to. However, I'm not going to buy any more workout DVDs until I finish a "PiYo Equivalent." So instead, I'm using Amazon Prime pilates/yoga workouts for my core for the month.

My exercise task is ten 15-minute segments per week.  That means I can exercise five times for 30 minutes, a few times for 45 and once or twice for 15, or twice a day for 15. I need to find 15 minutes, not an hour.

I plugged in the power drill battery today so I can tackle those tasks on Saturday!




No comments:

Post a Comment